Open Door Policy
- The Greenwood School has an open door policy. Parents are welcome to drop in occasionally during regular business hours without securing prior approval to observe their child in action at Greenwood. Parents are also encouraged to volunteer during festivals and celebrations. However, please remember that younger children have a difficult time when parents come to visit and then leave without taking the child.
- We encourage and welcome parents to visit us and their child throughout the day. We do ask that you not to disturb the class during nap time. If it is necessary for you to pick-up or drop-off your child during nap time, please let us know in advance so we can minimize interruptions to the daily routine.
- You may observe your child’s participation in class as long as your presence does not create any distraction for your child, other students or teachers. Greenwood staff members are required to stay focused on the children. Please do not distract the teachers during your observation time. You may schedule a conference or use email to communicate with your child’s teacher.
Hours of Operation
- The Greenwood School is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., September through May & June through August, exclusive of holidays. Our core curriculum hours are 8:00-3:00.
- Our after-school childcare service runs Mon. – Fri. 3:00 p.m. until 6:30 p.m.
- After-school care will not be offered on selected days as outlined on the school calendar. Please refer to the most recent school calendar for specific closings, early dismissals and events. Reminders are listed in the school newsletter.
- After-school childcare is available at the current drop-in rate with a three-hour minimum. Previous enrollment is required.
- All children must be picked up by 6:30. Please arrive early enough to be out of the school before 6:30pm. Late Fees are charged at $1.00 per minute after 6:30 p.m. If no one arrives or calls by 7:00, child protective services must be called. Be sure you list several emergency contacts on your enrollment form to avoid communication delays.
- Holiday closings and early dismissals are listed on the school calendar.
- Early dismissals may occur on occasion throughout the year. In general, the school will close early when necessary for planning meetings and setting up for special events such as the festivals and celebrations. The Planning Committees may arrange on-site childcare for the children of volunteers during meetings and event set-up. Charges are listed below under Baby-sitting Services.
- In the event of severe weather, we will make a decision to close the school based on the road conditions and safety concerns for everyone involved. During inclement weather, a class representative or teacher will attempt to contact you letting you know when the school will reopen. Generally, we follow the A.I.S.D. decisions; however, our hours are different so we may make adjustments that they do not make. Please stay in touch, as we do not want to risk having children or staff stranded at the school. You will want to keep a copy of the school directory accessible at home and work.